Despite all the recent Google changes, search engine optimization remains as an important marketing approach. When you optimize your website you position your business to show up as the solution at the top of the search engine rankings to problems people enter in search. This results in highly qualified traffic coming to your site.
How do you make this happen?
Here are ten tips to optimize your website.
1.Content- Your content on a website page needs to focus on a single keyword phrase. To provide enough “meat” to grab Google’s attention, your content should be at least 250 words, but when your content exceeds 1000 words, you run the risk of diluting your keyword target.
2. Use Keyword in Title- Other than the overall content of the page, the keyword title tag is the most important SEO element. The title tag provides the first indication to the search engines about what the page is about. Try to keep your title tags under 70 characters so the entire title is displayed in search engine results.
3. Make Sure Site Loads Fast- Over two years ago, Google added site load speed as a ranking factor. While it’s not the most critical ranking factor, it does matter because if your site is slow to load, visitors will leave. Most importantly, a quick loading site optimizes your site for readers.
4. Create a Site Structure- a strategic site structure presents your content in a logical way. It shows both the search engines and your visitors what keywords are important and how they relate to other content and links. Use Google Site Map to let Google index your site and inform them of changes.
5. Don’t Get Hung Up on Keyword Density- Is there a perfect keyword density for your page? Lots of people stress over this. Here’s Matt Cutts from Google with the answer. Basically, make sure you focus on a keyword, but don’t over do it.
6. Use Keywords in Sub-Headlines- Using keywords, or keyword variations in your sub-headlines and using H-2, H-3 tags indicates importance of the keyword. Again, as long as the content makes sense and you’re not over doing it.
7. Include Keywords in META Description- Your META description is your ad for your page in the search engine results. Use keywords or keyword variations without stuffing. Also, add a call to action to earn the click to your website.
8. Add Keywords to Images- Lots of people overlook this step. Use your keyword in the image name, alt text, and text around the image.
9. Create Internal and External Keyword Links- Don’t be afraid to link to external sites to optimize your website. Make sure you link to an authority site. Also, build internal links around your keywords. (see the end of this article)
10. Encourage Content Sharing- Finally, Google is now picking up social signals in search. How soon, how often, who shares your content, and where they share your content does matter. Make social sharing easy. Add social sharing buttons to all your pages.
Use these ten tips as a checklist when you create new content on your website. These tips will go a long way to helping you show up in search and attract more traffic to your website.
If you still have question about how to optimize your website, please click here to get your free website assessment.